What if I decided to drive home? (part 2)
As I rolled into San Luis Obispo it was a little bit after dinner time. I decided to stop here for the night because I have a handful of buddies who go to school at Cal Poly. Plus, how could I give up a free place to stay? I pulled my car into the driveway and turned off the engine. It had been a long day on the road and I was relieved to start walking around.
Anyways, I was more than ready to eat a proper meal after my day of car snacking. So when I saw that they were having a BBQ, I was more than stoked. The spread was all anybody could really ask for, burgers, hot dogs and beer. It was good to do some catching up and realize how nothing really changes between you and old pals. The rest of the night was spent eating, drinking and skating the mini half pipe in the backyard.
The next day we woke up with minor hangovers and headed for the beach. Nothing takes away the morning haziness better than a jump in the ocean. To our surprise, a swell had filled in overnight and the waves were the best I'd seen in a while. It felt nice to be out of the city, surfing in a new place, halfway between both places I call home.
We found out that the waves were supposed to get better over the weekend. I wasn't in a time crunch to get back to San Diego so I decided to stick around. Over the next few days, we cruised around the central coast finding new and old spots. I got some of the best surf I had all year. This sure as hell beat the TSA line.

Great picture of Morro Rock! I used to go to that beach as a kid. I think the idea of stopping overnight on your drive to San Diego is a really good idea. I hope you make the drive (and overnight stay) on one of your upcoming trips home. The central coast still has a lot to offer, even though things have gotten a lot more crowded and expensive since the 90's. Diggy, good luck with your classes this upcoming semester, it was fun reading your blog.
ReplyDelete