You should understand that I'm not going to be dealing with a serious subject matter. People often ask this question while pointing to monumental points in their life. Examples of are, What if I never had kids? What if I married so and so? What if I took this Job? Rather, I will be taking a lighter approach. Flipping the cards on my day to day routine. I guess the whole point of this is to document what I daydream about. I'm hoping that this will influence myself and those who read this to mix things up.
This leads me to my very first topic. What if I rode my bike to school today?
The time I start class plays a massive role in planning my transportation for the day. If it's in the afternoon, I try to take the bus. Morning classes, often result in me driving because it's much quicker. This allows me to clock in maximum sleeping opportunity, leaving my house with mere minutes to spare.
Today I had class at nine in the morning, can you guess how I got to school? That's right, I hopped in the old car at eight thirty and gunned it to campus. It felt like any other start to the day, same old same old. So, what if to spice things up, I rode my bike to class? Not only would my actual commute change but so would my entire routine.
This morning my alarm was set for six. As I often do, tapped the snooze button a few times, finally making my way to the shower fifteen minutes behind schedule. Did what had to be done around the house, got dressed and was out of the door by a little before seven.
By this point, I had two hours to make it to campus, more than enough time for my two-mile journey. Extra time in the morning is out of the norm for me. I figured, better make the most of it, so I went and got a coffee and a small bite to eat. This pit stop left me in a location that allowed me to take a different route than normal.
I pedaled through the residential neighborhoods, away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads. A new park and a couple of restaurants caught my attention. How did I never notice this stuff existed just a few blocks away from my house?
With school now in view, I began to panic just thinking about parking, only to remember this wouldn't be necessary. The bicycle parking was all mine for the taking! Plus, the proximity it was to my class made me feel like a VIP. Still, there were thirty minutes to kill before class and it felt like I already had a full day under my belt.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDiggy, I enjoy the "What if?" premise to your blog. I love this topic because it can go in any direction with limitless possibilities. I also happen to spend copious amounts of my time wondering how differently my day might play out if I did something different. In regards to transportation, I often contemplate how different things will be fifty years from now. Will people finally be flying to work? How will aerial highways work? Will there be floating stoplights? What about birds? Will birds even be around fifty years from now? Heh, I guess my imagination can run a bit wild with all the potential “What if?” scenarios.
ReplyDeleteIt is something that we always think about, or at least I do, "What If?". There are many times that situations didn't go how I thought they would, and it is easy to get lost in a what if narrative. It almost acts as a stress relief, and sometimes an entertaining way to spend a few moments thinking about what could have been.
ReplyDelete